For those of you who have the distinct pleasure of knowing me either in real life or on other social media platforms, I am lovingly known as The Prince of Unpopular Opinions. I got this nickname a few years ago when I was “brave” enough to say the things I really feel. I take the title seriously, any opinion I have is rooted in an at least base understanding of the piece. So I’m seldom a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian.
So in the spirit of being the Awesome Me, I wanted to go over a few unpopular opinions. A friend of mine threw out the number 33 so let’s get there! These will be sort of hot-takes, I may got into detail on some but if you want further explanations, leave me a comment! I will answer! Also due to the nature of these sorts of things…spoilers for some stuff, probably.
- I don’t like The Dark Knight. I know, shocker. I’m not crazy about Heath Ledger’s Joker. He was great in that movie! Just when your lore base is Batman The Animated Series, his Joker is a departure. The rest of the movie was a bit of a slog and I’m all for gritty reimaginings but Batman was always pretty gritty if you ignore the campy 1960s.
- I really like dubbed anime. I use anime as background noise a lot. I often don’t have time to entirely give my attention to a thing. Also, my time coming into anime was during the Golden Age of Dubbing. I had AMAZING voice acting experiences with English dubs. Now, there are some that are hot garbage, but for the most part, gimme a good dub.
- Cadbury Creme Eggs are magical. Fight me.
- Peeps are also magical. Continue to fight me.
- I dislike Attack on Titan. Mostly, I dislike the anime’s fandom. If I wanted to watch a lesser version of Evangelion, I’d just watch the movies.
- Tumblr is a place that I intensely dislike in places but I also refuse to leave it.
- I really like the original run of Fullmetal Alchemist. Brotherhood is closer to the manga, sure, but it changed things that vastly changed how I related to the story.
- Gravitation is a garbage anime but I will fight people over it. That series was probably one of the most important things to me as a troubled youth.
- I really liked it when Blink 182 and Green Day went emo in the 2000s. Those are probably some of my favorite albums and I still listen to them. A lot of folks who listened to those bands when they were still grunge hated the transition to emo but I was just a little too young for the grunge days and I was a moody teen during the emo days. Doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate the older stuff, I just really emotionally jived with the emotional moaning of Tom DeLonge.
- I don’t like wearing high heels. God made me short.
- Naruto shouldn’t have ended up with Hinata. She deserved better.
- ICHIGO AND RUKIA SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE MAIN PAIRING IN BLEACH.
- Paris Franz was the worst part of the animated The Killing Joke movie. And hell, the rest of the movie was fine even though I can fully admit that it’s an old story that just doesn’t work in the modern era.
- I don’t understand Modern Art. It’s been explained to me. I’ve taken art classes. I just don’t get it.
- I don’t hate Justin Bieber’s newer songs. Don’t @ me.
- I don’t like Chipotle. I more or less just don’t understand what niche it fills. That being said, I still go because it’s downtown and it’s close and it’s there. I’m not proud of myself.
- Bianca del Rio is my least favorite RuPaul’s Drag Race winner. But I won’t say that too loud. She can hear me and feeds upon my fear.
- I am not crazy about JRPGs. I love the story of many of them like the Persona series but you could not pay me to play those games. The grind exhausts me.That being said I will absolutely still cosplay as Teddie and Yusuke.
- Commonly said unpopular opinion: Yuri On Ice ruined anime and even though I hate it a lot less, I still will forever be disappointed at what it did for the discourse.
- I’m pretty over Steven Universe. I think that show can just end now. It had a good run. I also for some reason really dislike how Rebecca Sugar uses references sometimes. I’m not sure why. It may be totally irrational but for some reason when she obviously parodies something it just makes my blood boil.
- I don’t hate the Star Wars prequels. Hell, I still have my ticket stub for Revenge of the Sith. I can admit they are bad movies but dammit those lightsaber battles.
- Not crazy about the new Star Wars trilogy. Rey is an aggressive Mary Sue and it does feel like an intense re-tread of older things. That being said, porgs are great: fight me.
- Ewoks scare the hell out of me. They clearly eat people and have weird human teeth.
- I will happily watch baseball over football.
- French fries are made to be dipped in a chocolate frosty.
- Vanilla frosties are an abomination unto the Lord.
- I still play Pokemon Go. Team Mystic forever.
- Harry Potter is a fantastic universe and franchise but dammit Jo Rowling exhausts me and I am bored to tears with her mains. Thus says a proud Slytherin.
- Also, I will holler this on the top of a mountain: I WANT MY DAMN MARAUDERS MOVIE.
- Justice League: Gods and Monsters may be one of my favorite animated superhero movie. Vampire Batman forever.
- I’m weirdly bored of Marvel movies. They have a time and a half balancing humor and seriousness and everyone being a quip monster is starting to wear on me. That may explain why I’m tired of Guardians of the Galaxy and Spiderman as franchises.
- The Sam Raimi Spiderman does not get enough credit and it’s wonderful. Spiderman 2 may be one of the greatest comic book movies ever made.
- I don’t like Frozen. The collective pop cultural subconscious can absolutely Let it Go.
That was a fun little exercise wasn’t it? Did you learn a lot about me? Good.
Let’s do this again sometime!
4 thoughts on “Unpopular Opinions Strongly Held”
“I don’t like The Dark Knight” – I thought I was the only one! There are dozens of us 🙂
Oh thank God. Really, it’s a fine movie but for a Batman the animated series fan like me, I just can’t handle the direction they took the Joker in.
Oh, that’s interesting. I was actually fine with Heath Ledger, I found Christian Bale unwatchable.
Nolan: Okay Christian, ready to start filming?
Nolan: Here’s the thing though. Talk like a total moron. Undercut every scene you’re in by making it impossible to concentrate on anything except your dumb, dumb voice.
Bale: Ruin Batman. Got it.
Nolan: Super. Action!
I think Bale is…serviceable. He’s fine. Not my favorite but he’s fine. He’s no Clooney but he’s also no Val Kilmer who gets no credit for his turn in the cowl.